Monthly Archives: October 2010

Picking The Right Output

The other day I ran across a publication from Allegro MicroSystems which was filled with an extensive list of terms and definitions for IC outputs. For instance, do you know the difference between a bipolar and a unipolar output? Well, … Continue reading

Posted in Tutorials/Educational | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

The $868.73 Op-Amp

Yes, you read that right; this here is an $868.73 operational amplifier, the Apex PA50A: It doesn’t look like much, does it? Well at only ~1.5″ square, it’s not much larger than most power transistors. However, I can guarantee you … Continue reading

Posted in Just For Fun | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

The AVR AM Radio Transmitter (and Plantenna)

Fair warning: the following details on what led me to experiment with AVR-based AM radio transmission are rather long and convoluted. Feel free to skip to the good stuff. Well just a couple of months ago I was in Toronto … Continue reading

Posted in Hobbies, Just For Fun, Test | Tagged , , , , , , | 24 Comments

ThinkPad T43p, T61p Power Consumption Tests

One of my biggest hobby electronics projects thus far has been the development of a solar power system, used primarily for home automation (for details see Part I and Part II). In the past, I’ve used it to partially power … Continue reading

Posted in Hobbies, Test | Tagged , , , , | 2 Comments

Computing for a Cause

If you’re reading this, it’s too late for me. you’re probably using a personal computer of some type. And as you read, your computer is most likely doing, well, approximately nothing. Sure, it’s keeping time, maybe playing a bit of … Continue reading

Posted in Hobbies | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment